Vegan Vanilla Dream Ice Cream
Looking for something cool and creamy on a hot day? A refreshing scoop to add to the top of some cake or brownies? This sweet and creamy vegan vanilla dream ice cream is perfect! Plus you get to choose how you want it sweetened!
- Choose date sweetened for an extra healthy treat - did you know that dates are the most nutritious sweetener in the world? They also add a slight caramel taste to your foods. Because this is a vanilla base, the date flavor will shine through quite a bit, so keep that in mind.
- Choose Gula Melaka (coconut sugar) for a yummy unrefined sweetener. This traditional coconut sugar gives a lovely caramel hint of flavor and creamy ice cream. The ice cream will be caramel colored instead of white
- Choose organic unrefined cane sugar for a more traditional tasting and slightly creamier ice cream. Because we all need to indulge sometimes! This is the ice cream in the photos, it turns out a nice white color.
Plain vanilla ice cream is one of the hardest to make vegan, as often the base flavors shine through the vanilla. You can taste a bit f cashew and coconut here, but you can also taste the vanilla coming through. But most importantly, it is creamy! I have tested sooooo many ice cream combinations over the years. Actually my ice creams used to always come out quite creamy when I used a base of coconut milk and soymilk. I’m guessing the natural lecithins in soy help with the creaminess, as well as the protein. But ice creams without it just aren’t quite as creamy. But after many trials I thought of one more thing to try. And by golly, it worked, my vanilla ice cream was creamy, not icy!!!!!! Yay!! So I’m excited to share this with you. This vanilla ice cream is great on its own or with fruit, chocolate, or butterscotch toppings, or use it as a topping itself with pie, brownies, etc.
The full fat coconut milk gives this ice cream a rich and creamy feel, along with natural vanilla flavor for an undertone of lovely vanilla. Delicious! I use fresh made almond or sesame milk for part of the milk, so the ice cream doesn’t taste too much like coconut, and cashews for extra creaminess.
1 liter tub
How to enjoy this ice cream:
Not that anyone needs telling how to enjoy ice cream, but here are some of our favorite ways!
- With some date bars broken up in it.
- With granola or crackers sprinkled on top.
- On top of some vegan brownies
- With birthday cake!
- In an ice cream cone
- Smashed between two vegan cookies
- With chocolate sauce on top
Ice cream base:Coconut milk, almond or sesame milk, cashews, sweetener (dates, gula melaka, or organic sugar), natural vanilla flavor (non alcohol), pinch of Himalayan salt
**if you have any food allergies to specific kinds of nuts/seeds/etc. let me know and I can adjust the recipe to accommodate you :)