Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Looking for something cool and creamy on a hot day? A refreshing scoop to add to the top of some cake or brownies? This cool and fresh vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream is perfect! Plus you get to choose how you want it sweetened!
- Choose date sweetened for an extra healthy treat - did you know that dates are the most nutritious sweetener in the world? They also add a slight caramel taste to your foods.
- Choose Gula Melaka (coconut sugar) for a yummy unrefined sweetener. This traditional coconut sugar gives a lovely caramel hint of flavor and creamy ice cream.
- Choose organic unrefined cane sugar for a more traditional tasting and slightly creamier ice cream. Because we all need to indulge sometimes!
*my favorite choice for this ice cream is the organic unrefined cane sugar, as the others give a darker colored ice cream and the flavor of the dates or gula melaka clash a little with the mint. It is still good, but not as pure mint tasting as with the sugar option. The dates are my least favorite with this mint flavor, but if you are carving mint ice cream and can only have dates for sweetener, it is still a good option.
Mint chocolate chip ice cream is such a lovely treat! The crisp dark chocolate melts in your mouth to blend with the refreshing minty ice cream. Instead of just stirring in chocolate chips, which makes for hard waxy frozen chocolate pieces, I melt the chocolate first and mix it into the ice cream. This allows it to melt much more easily when you are eating it, plus you get some small bits and some awesome larger chunks!
The full fat coconut milk gives this ice cream a rich and creamy feel, along with natural mint extract for a fresh minty flavor. Delicious! I use fresh made almond or sesame milk for part of the milk, so the ice cream doesn’t taste too much like coconut.
***the photos show a slightly green ice cream, as I sometimes put in a pinch of spirulina powder in mine for the green color. But if sweetened with dates or Gula Melaka it is a slightly darker color, so the spirulina doesn’t work so well. But if you want me to add spirulina for a greenish color, just let me know. So if you order this with Gula Melaka or dates, you can expect a slightly tan ice cream.
1 liter tub
How to enjoy this ice cream:
Not that anyone needs telling how to enjoy ice cream, but here are some of our favorite ways!
- With some date bars broken up in it.
- With granola or crackers sprinkled on top.
- On top of some vegan brownies
- With birthday cake!
- In an ice cream cone
- Smashed between two vegan cookies
- With chocolate sauce on top
Ice cream base:Coconut milk, almond or sesame milk, vegan dark chocolate, sweetener (dates, gula melaka, or organic sugar), natural mint extract
**if you have any food allergies to specific kinds of nuts/seeds/etc. let me know and I can adjust the recipe to accommodate you :)