Vegan Black Sesame Ice Cream
Nothing like a cool treat on a hot day! This cool and creamy vegan black sesame ice cream is just the ticket! Plus you get to choose how you want it sweetened! Black sesame seeds are super nutritious, being high in calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc, and much more! They also give a lovely nutty sesame flavor to this unique ice cream.
- Choose date sweetened for an extra healthy treat - did you know that dates are the most nutritious sweetener in the world? They also add a slight caramel taste to your foods. Yummy! Date sweetened ice cream has a thicker texture and can feel slightly fibrous/grainy (I do strain it after blending), so keep this in mind.
- Choose gula melaka for a yummy unrefined sweetener. This traditional coconut sugar gives a lovely caramel hint of flavor and a tan color.
- Choose cane sugar for a more traditional and creamier ice cream. Because we all need to indulge sometimes!
**our vegan ice creams can be quite hard/solid straight out of the freezer (sometimes you get a lucky batch that turns out fluffier). But that’s a good thing,it’s not full of air, so you’re getting more ice cream! Don’t panic, just let it sit out for 5-20 minutes and then you can scoop it! Feeling impatient? You can also microwave it for a few seconds (up to 30 seconds for a full container) to quickly soften it for easy scooping.
This flavor came about because I had some black sesame seeds in my pantry I wanted to use up. But it’s such a fun flavor (and black sesame seeds are so healthy too!) that we decided to put it to a vote on Instagram. So many people voted for us to list this flavor, so here it is! The full fat coconut milk gives this ice cream a rich and creamy feel. Delicious! Homemade black sesame paste gives a classic grey color and sesame flavor, and cashews give added creaminess and balance the coconut flavor.
1 liter tub
How to enjoy this ice cream:
Not that anyone needs telling how to enjoy ice cream, but here are some of our favorite ways!
- With some date bars broken up in it.
- With granola or crackers sprinkled on top.
- On top of some vegan brownies
- With birthday cake!
- In an ice cream cone
- Smashed between two vegan cookies
- With chocolate sauce on top
Coconut milk, cashew cream, sweetener (organic sugar, Gula Melaka, or dates), black sesame paste, sunflower oil*, pure vanilla extract, pinch of himalayan salt
*the little bit of sunflower oil we add to our ice cream helps keep it from being rock hard in the freezer, especially if you keep the ice cream for more than a couple weeks. It also gives it a very slightly smoother texture. It is still plenty creamy without the oil, so if you prefer no oil in your ice cream, just send us a note after ordering.