I love a good meal of pasta! (With a side of salad and veggies of course!) Spicy bolognese sauce is one of my favorites as it is flavorful and hearty!
Using vegan seitan based beefy crumbles make this an easy and healthy protein filled sauce!
- 1 pack vegan beefy crumbles (you can also just use half of the pack
- 1 onion, chopped
- oil for sautéing
- 1 can tomatoes, with juice (whole or chopped is ok)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon each of garlic powder, dried oregano, dried parsley, dried thyme, black pepper, red chili flakes
- water as needed
- salt to taste
- (optional) sugar, nutritional yeast
- Heat up pan and drizzle in a couple teaspoons of oil, or more if desired. Sauté the onions a bit and then add the beefy crumbles. Sauté for several minutes until they are browned and a bit crisped. If you have some fresh garlic you can add that as well, I just didn’t have any.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, spices, and enough water to make a sauce consistency. It will get thicker as it cooks.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Taste and adjust spices and herbs to your liking. Add salt if needed. Add 1-2 teaspoons of sugar if needed to cut acidity. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast if desired.
- Add water as needed for the consistency you want. It’s easy to add water, but not as easy to take it away, so add slowly. If it’s too watery, just let it simmer as you stir occasionally and it will thicken up again.
- Serve on the pasta of your choice with some grated mozzarella or parmesan on top.
NOTE: Feel free to add any veggies to the saute - like bell peppers (capsicum), eggplant, mushrooms, etc. The more the merrier!