I love a good pizza night! Heck, any night is great for a pizza night! In our house this almost always means homemade pizza. And when you have great vegan mozzarella, why not!
Here is how we make our pizza:
1. Start with a good dough. We like to make things as healthy as possible, so I go for a whole wheat dough and usually throw in some ground flax for good measure. Here is my basic dough recipe:
- 1c cold water
- 1tsp salt
- 1Tbsp instant yeast (you can use just 1tsp if you want a thin crispy crust)
- 1/4c ground flaxseed
- 1tsp sweetener
- 3-4 cups atta flour or other whole wheat flour
Mix water, yeast, flax, and sweetener together. Stir in salt. Stir in flour one cup at a time. When it gets too stiff to stir, dump onto a clean countertop and knead in the rest of the flour until it is firm and not sticky. Place in an oiled bowl with a plate on top and let rise for about half an hour. Divide into 2-4 pieces and roll our your crusts. You can make them thick or thin depending on what you like! Place the rolled out crusts onto your pans and let rise if you want a puffier crust, or immediately put on your toppings and bake for a thinner crispy crust.
2. Sauce. Pizza sauce can be extremely simple! If I don't have an open jar of spaghetti sauce in the fridge I usually make this super easy sauce:
- 1/4c tomato paste
- enough water to make it the consistency you like
- 1/2-1tsp each black pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano
- chili flakes to taste
3. Cheese. There are many options for great vegan cheese on a pizza! By far the easiest is just to sprinkle with some vegan parmesan. It won't melt, but it will still give some great flavor! Our favorite, though, is to use our vegan mozzarella. Either grate it up or just slice it thinly and top your pizza.
4. Toppings! Our favorites are olives, mushrooms, capsicum, vegan salami, pepperoni, sausage, etc. You can place your toppings either on top of the cheese or under the cheese, it's up to you!
5. Bake. To get a great melt for the vegan mozzarella, it's best to bake your pizza at 220-230C for about 10-15 minutes. Check it at 10 minutes, but you may have to leave it in longer depending on how large it is, how thick your crust is, etc. You may have to adjust the temperature depending on your oven as well, but this is what works for mine.
6. Enjoy!! We like to make mini pizzas so each person can put on the toppings of their choice, but large pizzas are fun too!
Here are a few of our pizzas!
This one is the same as above, expect with the addition of plenty of vegan salami for a flavor burst!
Here is one of our mini pizzas. The kids really love to put on their own toppings!
How do you like your pizza? When I have time I like to add something special like roasted veggies (bell peppers, onions, and zucchini is a great combination!). My favorite is to use some homemade pesto sauce instead of tomato sauce, but I almost never get around to making pesto. One of these days!